The Talent Acquisition department hires qualified candidates to fill positions which contribute to the overall strategic success of Howard University. Hiring staff "for fit" makes significant contributions to Howard University's overall mission.
MATH/SAT PREP INSTRUCTOR
Instructors for the UB Program have primary responsibility for implementing the curriculum.
Supervision of high school students
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Provides mathematics instruction and tutoring/role modeling to high school students; implements the SAT Preparation program to improve the mathematics skills of participants through classroom instruction, assigned problem in-class teamwork and competitions, and practice SAT tests. Will include weekday and evening responsibilities.
Provides instruction to and supervision of high school students by:
- Developing and implementing mathematics curriculum as outlined by the coordinator in the instructor manual and in accordance with the national standards in mathematics
- Tutoring/mentoring the student at evening study session
- Administering and scoring pre-and post-tests to assess student performance in relation to course objectives
- Conducting an initial assessment of participants' computational and problem solving ability in Geometry, Algebra II/Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, and/or Calculus
- Identifying important skills, concepts, formulas from the National Mathematics (NCTM) Standards critical to knowledge of mathematics to reinforce curriculum modules through homework assignments
- Incorporating pre-college teaching strategies and cooperative learning techniques in module implementation
- Adhering to the discipline policies of the UB project
- Conducting oneself in a professional manner
Conducts SAT preparation sessions by:
- Administering weekly practice tests
- Assigning SAT problem sets/questions/sections for team problem solving and presentation
- Displaying team scores weekly
- Documenting and reporting participant weekly progress in SAT skill development to the coordinator
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!