Posting Number: 06001847
Open Until Filled (notes): POOL posting
Anticipated Start Date: 9/20/2021
Position Type/Employee Class
Salary Level: 2021-22 Adjunct Salary Schedule
Starting Pay Range
$622 per load unit
To provide instruction in Human Biology courses in support of a range of certificate and transfer programs. To teach, direct student discussion, select laboratory-learning experiences appropriate for meeting objectives. To assess student learning in the classroom and laboratory. To work with others to design and deliver such courses.
Terms of Employment
- Adjunct Instructor, .5 FTE, benefited. This is a part-time position, hired on 9-month basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
- Adjunct Instructor compensation begins at Step 1 / $622 per load unit (LU). Load Unit is not always equivalent to class credit; and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
- Adjunct Instructor positions are represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- May include travel throughout the College district.
- Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
- Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
- Provide instruction in Human Biology courses. This includes both student class and laboratory sessions. Course assignments may include sessions taught during the day and/or evening, delivered in-person (as conditions allow) or online, synchronously or asynchronously.
- Provide individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress, including scheduled open office hours for student consultations.
- Utilize resources, including technological resources such as a Learning Management System, to support teaching activities as appropriate.
- Participate in collaborative efforts related to curriculum development and the evaluation of courses and academic program.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks relevant to adjunct instructor teaching assignments, as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
- Act as a resource person for students.
- Cooperate with other College personnel to assist students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Demonstrable evidence of excellence in teaching typical Human Biology coursework found at a community college. This includes demonstrable evidence of the on-going pursuit of activities intended to improve teaching skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the field of Human Biology in the broadest possible sense.
- Ability to use a variety of teaching techniques and instructional methods as are appropriate to provide meaningful learning opportunities for all students.
- Ability to design, develop, and maintain instructional programs and curricula in the field of Human Biology.
- Ability to observe, direct, and supervise students through laboratory experiences.
- Ability to use computers to communicate, to produce and manage documents and data.
- Ability to work with historically underrepresented students, including students of color, and commit to assisting the College and Department in work to better serve these students.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or
- without the use of an interpreter, in relevant teaching settings such as: classrooms, laboratories, synchronous or asynchronous online environments.
- Ability to review, understand, and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or the professional literature.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other faculty, staff and administrative employees.
- Willingness to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations as required.
- Ability to work cooperatively with and contribute to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements
Ability to work in classroom, office and/or virtual environments using computers, white boards, projectors, and other basic office equipment. Persons in this position may be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of the Central Oregon Community College Board of Directors that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status or any other protected classes under Federal and State statutes in any educational programs, activities or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC's Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC's EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
Master's degree in Biology or closely related field.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching, or evidence for the potential for excellence in teaching.
- Teaching experience relevant to lower division college Biology courses.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Is a Criminal History Check required?: Yes
Is a Credit History Check Required?: No