Posting Number: 06001825
Position Type/Employee Class
Salary Level: Part Time Instructor
Starting Pay Range
$616 per load unit (per part-time instructor salary schedule)
To provide instruction in the Fine Arts and Communication Department. Part-time instructors design and plan classes according to Department and College standards, direct student discussion and evaluate student performance.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This is a part-time (< .50 FTE) non-benefited position, hired on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
- Part-Time Faculty compensation begins at Step 1 / $616 per load unit (LU). One load unit is not always equivalent to one class credit; and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
- Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- May include travel throughout the College district.
- Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
- COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at the time their work is being performed.
- The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this position.
- Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
- Provide instruction in Communication, Music, Studio Art, Art History, Photography, Graphic Design, Music History or Theatre Arts. Depending on the nature of the position, responsibilities may include lecturing and guiding in classroom activities, providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening and classes taught on or off campus.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to each course and location, as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
- Cooperate with other College personnel to assist students with career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies.
- Act as a resource person for students.
- Work with appropriate College personnel to write proposals for program funds.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Thorough knowledge in one or more of the fields listed above.
- Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
- Visual ability, corrected, to enable instructor to observe, direct, and supervise students in classroom situations.
- Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, film, sound systems, video, television, interactive video and audio equipment including computer controlled mixed media presentations.
- Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers and other written materials.
- Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
- Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
- Ability to work with Fine Arts and Communication faculty and other COCC staffs at all levels.
- Willingness to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as required.
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with constituents from diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements
Work is performed in various learning environments and the employee should have the ability to sit or stand at workstation as needed. Depending on the assignment, the employee may be required to use computers, white boards, projectors, and other basic office equipment. The employee may be required to use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms and requires near visual acuity to write, read written materials and computer screens, and sufficient hearing and speech ability for ordinary conversations. Occasional lifting up to 25 lbs. Travel throughout the College district as needed. A flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends, may be necessary depending on the assignment. The employee is required to meet physical and ergonomic requirements of the assigned program area. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions and movements with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statutes in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC's Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC's EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
- Master's degree, or Master's in Fine Arts in one or more of the above disciplines.
- Evidence of excellence, or promise of excellence, in instruction.
- College Level teaching experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required?: Yes
Is a Credit History Check Required?: No