Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Job Type: Adjunct
Division: Academic Affairs
Job Number: 00712
To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
$1232 per credit hour of instruction.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge base in theatre. Primary duties will include teaching Acting I and II and directing one fully staged play each semester. Candidates should show teaching experience in acting, and successful history of stage direction. Production selection will be a coordinated effort between other theatre faculty members. Kirkwood currently employs a technical theatre director and costume designer.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Teach Acting I & II courses.
- Select, audition, direct, and coordinate production of one fully staged play each semester.
- Collaborate with other theatre faculty members in production selection and staging
- Mentor student actors.
- Coordinate, plan, prepare, present, and evaluate classroom instruction and related student activities.
- Collaborate with the costume shop manager and theatre tech to ensure accurate execution of the production(s).
- Provide input for theatre scholarship awards.
- Evaluate, record, and report student achievement and progress in assigned courses in accordance with college policies and procedures.
- Communicate with department staff, students, and faculty on a regular basis.
- Attend production meetings.
- Perform other related work duties as assigned.
- Be able and willing to represent the College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Ability to work efficiently with the costume shop manager, technical director, and other faculty.
- Ability to instruct students in the details and craft of acting and theatre production.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves light work: Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing.
- Master's degree with an emphasis in directing or acting.
- Proven experience directing collegiate or professional theatre.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Community College teaching experience.
- MFA in Theatre or Acting.
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: equity@Kirkwood.edu or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: 312-730-1560, Fax: 312-730-1576, Email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.