Location: Iowa City, IA
Job Type: Adjunct
Division: Academic Affairs
Job Number: 00709
To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
$1232 per credit hour of instruction.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Kirkwood Community College seeks a skilled enthusiastic individual to join our faculty to teach American Sign Language for the 2021-2022 Academic Year. The successful candidate will have strong knowledge base in their discipline and online teaching experience. College level teaching is preferred. Primary duties will include teaching assigned class(es)and communicating with department staff, students and faculty.
Adjunct faculty play a vital role in instruction. Adjunct instructors are responsible for the coordination, planning, preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction and related activities. Adjunct faculty bring with them a variety of backgrounds and professional experiences which serve to foster growth in the subject matter and enrich student learning. Adjunct faculty must evaluate, record, and report student achievement and progress in assigned courses in accordance with department, division, and college policies and procedures. Must be able to design and participate in assessment of student learning projects within the discipline, the department, and the college.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Provide instruction in discipline.
- Work with other faculty members to develop a course syllabus and consistent assessments.
- Communicate with department staff, students, and faculty on a regular basis.
- Perform other related work duties as assigned.
- Effectively instruct and communicate material for the course.
- Abide by and enforce safety rules when in a lab setting.
- Remain in compliance with Project Lead the Way expectations as well as Kirkwood Community College expectations.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations of the job, which should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves sitting and/or standing most of the time in a classroom setting. Occasional (10-33%) repetitive motion, stooping, crouching, pushing, pulling, carrying and lifting up to 20 pounds. Frequent (34-66%) reaching, standing, walking, lifting and grasping.
- Bachelor's degree in ASL education, Deaf studies or related field OR Bachelor's degree with three years teaching experience in ASL.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Online teaching experience.
- Master's Degree in ASL education, Deaf studies or related field.
- ASLTA Certified or SLPI with advanced score or ASLPI with a minimum score of 3.5 must be completed successfully within the first year from date of hire.
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: equity@Kirkwood.edu or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: 312-730-1560, Fax: 312-730-1576, Email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.