Adjunct Clinical Nursing Instructor
Filling positions at several locations! Council Bluffs, Clarinda, and Shenandoah!! Iowa Western Needs applicants that have a passion for nursing, nursing education, supporting students in a clinical environment and serving as a role model for the nursing profession. If you fit this criteria then you are encouraged to apply! Adjunct nursing faculty work with nursing students in clinical and/or laboratory sites as assigned by the Nursing Program Director, Dean, or designee. These nursing instructors are registered nurses who have acquired significant competence and practical experience in the nursing field. They guide and teach student nurses, evaluating student performance and providing feedback.
Typical Physical Demands:
Physical requirements include the ability to stand/sit for prolonged periods of time with the potential for frequent bending, stooping, and/or stretching. Light lifting may be required. Activity managing students in the clinical area will vary with the clinical site as will the type of patient care to be provided. The use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculators, fax machines, and copy machines may be required.
Typical Working Conditions:
Clinical and laboratory sites vary in description but generally require flexibility and interdisciplinary collaboration. Most assignments are indoors at a health care facility where direct patient care is provided.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend clinical nursing adjunct orientation, annually
- Meet with course lead instructor as needed
- Organize lab and/or clinical experiences under the direct supervision of the lead instructor for the nursing course, utilizing the lab/clinical objectives to guide instructional planning
- Conduct pre-/post-/actual clinical experiences
- Role model and project a positive, professional demeanor with students, clients, nursing staff, and interdisciplinary care partners
- Arrive at the clinical site early to prepare for students; be available to students before and/or after scheduled lab/clinical time as needed
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students, clients, and colleagues
- Provide guidance and feedback to students regarding documentation, care maps, preparation for client care, and online as directed by the course lead instructor
- Complete assigned duties in a timely fashion; accurately complete and submit reports regarding student attendance, grades, progress, and feedback.
- Maintain professional communication with students, clients, nursing staff, and interdisciplinary care partners, and course lead instructors
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to organize and present various nursing concepts to a wide range of nursing students with varying levels of comprehension, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Assume accountability and responsibility as a nursing instructor
- Exercise astute judgment and deal with issues effectively when they arise
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with students, nursing staff, nursing faculty, administrators, and interdisciplinary health care providers
- Exercise strong human relations skills and work effectively with diverse personalities
- Role model appropriate behavior in all professional encounters
- Ability to pass a background check, a valid U.S Driver's license and a good driving record.
- Required: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing plus two years of medical/surgical nursing practice experience or the equivalent of same and current, unencumbered nursing licensure in Iowa and/or Nebraska
- Preferred: Master's Degree in Nursing; familiarity with state and national nursing education standards
- Required: Two years of medical/surgical nursing practice experience or the equivalent of same
- Preferred: Teaching experience in nursing
Benefits: We have free access to our brand new Wellness Center and fitness classes at no cost to employees and their spouses. We also offer access to the voluntary RIC 457 retirement plan and (for those who qualify) IPERS or TIAA retirement with employer contribution of up to 9.44%.
- Direct supervision is provided by the nursing course lead instructor.
- Reporting structure includes the Director of Nursing and the Dean.
- By Contract