The American Musical and Dramatic Academy, with campuses in Los Angeles and New York City, is one of the foremost postsecondary performing arts schools in the country. AMDA NY offers a two-year conservatory program.
AMDA seeks to attract an active, culturally and academically diverse faculty of the highest caliber to join the Stage Combat Department! We are accepting resumes for part-time positions at our New York campus for the Fall Semester (November 2, 2020 - February 26, 2021). AMDA is seeking instructors with experience in teaching all disciplines of armed and unarmed stage combat, including period and contemporary styles, for stage and screen.
Applicants should be strongly committed to excellence in teaching, honed from personal performing experience on a professional level and pedagogy of teaching at a college level.
- AMDA differentiates itself from other performing arts colleges by having students learn from "working faculty".
- Applicants must have experience with stage combat in theatre production, either as performer or as a fight director/choreographer; preference will be given to those with extensive stage combat teaching credits as well as recent / current production credits.
- College-level teaching plus a willingness to learn curriculum-specific material is required.
- Applicants will have experience in providing and maintaining a professional studio and performance atmosphere for stage combat education.
- Successful applicants will have demonstrated an ability to work effectively with diverse populations and varying stage combat proficiency levels.
Also, applicants must be willing and able to team-teach, as each class is taught by a pair of teachers.
- Knowledge of stage combat techniques as codified and taught by the Society of American Fight Directors is required.
- Applicants will be able to communicate with students in a positive and effective manner.
- Bachelors or BFA in Theatre Arts or Acting (minimum) / Master's degree or higher (a plus) / or comparable educational or professional experience.
- Certification in SAFD armed and unarmed disciplines (specifically unarmed combat, single sword, rapier/dagger and broadsword) - or the equivalent from another recognized training organization - is required. SAFD Certified Teacher status or the equivalent educational or professional experience is preferred.
AMDA is proud to be an EOE employer M/F/D/V